Thursday, February 23, 2012

Media in Other Countries

As most of us have heard, yesterday afternoon a train crashed in Buenos Aires, Argentina, killing a total of 50 people and injuring around 700. This was the worst train crash they have seen since the 1940s. As far we know the crash was caused by a random brake or driver error. After reading several articles about the crash, I found it very interesting to see how the media in other countries handles crisis. From what I have read and found, a few fingers have been pointed at who to blame for the crash but I have yet to see one apology or sympathy article. If this accident had happened in the United States, I feel it would be handled very differently.

It's interesting to see just how different the media acts in certain countries. One thing I know is that when a crises happens in the U.S., if the organization or person responsible for it does not come out with an apology within 24 hours, their reputation will be affected for years, sometimes forever. As we saw with the Komen incident, they lost hundreds of supporters simply because they kept quiet for too long. As I follow the Buenos Aires accident, I will be curious to see how it turns out and who takes the blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment